Employment Law in Scotland - The Hot Topics – Seminar on 25 May 2017
Our Partners Marie Macdonald and Stephen Connolly of our award-winning Employment Law Team will be delivering an upcoming seminar on some of the hottest topics in employment law in Scotland in 2017.
It will review the Working Time Directive and the frequently asked questions surrounding this when calculating holiday pay and historical claims by workers. It will also take a look into the need for greater workplace flexibility and the issues to be considered; along with mental health and sickness absence management.
The seminar will also provide an update on recent developments.
What You Will Learn
This course will cover the following:
- Lock, Bear Scotland and other Working Time Regulation issues
- What are the implications for calculating holiday pay and what should now be included in holiday pay under the Working Time Directive?
- Could retrospective claims for back pay still be made post Bear Scotland?
- Should contracts of employment be amended in the light of Bear Scotland?
- Employment Status and the 'Gig' Economy
- Can the current employment law deal with atypical working and the rise of modern working arrangements?
- The obligations created for 'employers' under the terms of the Small Business, Enterprise and Employment Act 2015 in regards to Agency Worker rights
- The rise in the use of 'apps' and how they impact upon employment status?
- Is there a drive for 'workers' rights?
- What impact will the recent Employment Tribunal cases of Aslam v Uber, Cox v MOJ, Fenoll, Deliveroo and CitySprint couriers have moving forward?
- Where might the law go next - is legislative change needed?
- Mental Health and Sickness Absence Management
- Managing the sickness absence process with appropriate medical support
- Dismissing for mental ill-health and how to ensure a robust capability process is followed
- How does stress in the workplace impact on such dismissals?
- Disability discrimination - looking particularly at reasonable adjustments and discrimination arising from a disability
- A review of the relevant case law
- Recent Developments
- The impact of employment tribunal fees - looking at the House of Commons Justice Committee enquiry
- The potential abolition of fees - what will be the likely impact on employment tribunal cases and when it is likely to happen?
- Brexit implications for employment law
- Tribunal reform - does the Tribunal (Scotland) Bill signal the death of the employment tribunal in Scotland?
To find out more about this event or to sign up, CLICK HERE.