Occasional Licences

Their accuracy, efficiency, competence and knowledge cannot be bettered in Scotland - Legal 500.

Occasional Licence Lawyers Glasgow, Scotland 

Are you having an event? Do you need a licence on a temporary basis?

If you are involved in an event where alcohol will be sold but the venue or location is unlicensed you may need to apply to the local Licensing Board for an Occasional Licence.

This could include anything from a small community event, a food fair, a music festival to a wedding where alcohol will either be consumed at the event or sold on a take home basis. You may also need a licence if you sell tickets and alcohol is provided as part of the ticket price.

Alternatively, it may be that you simply need a licence for a short time before your full premises licence is approved.

Occasional Licences can last for up to two weeks and many Licensing Boards will allow you to apply on an ongoing basis if that is required.

How to apply:

  • You must be either a personal licenceholder, a premises licenceholder or a voluntary organisation to make an application;
  • Your application is submitted to the Licensing Board together with the fee. The application must specify what, where and when;
  • Where objections or representations are received you will need to address these either in writing or at a hearing of the Licensing Board;
  • Your application will be either granted or refused and will be subject to both the mandatory conditions and any additional conditions

Where entertainment is also being provided at your event (the definition of entertainment varies across the country but can include fireworks, live music, performances etc) you should also seek advice from our expert team on whether a Temporary Public Entertainment Licence is also required.


To find out more, please contact our Licensing Solicitors Glasgow on 0141 333 0636 or fill in our online form


News & Insights

Read the latest insights from our team

Changes to Glasgow outside seating consents for 2023
Read the full article
Glasgow City Council have recently confirmed there are two significant changes to temporary Street Café permits, also known as Section 59 consents....
Restricting the advertisement and promotion of alcohol
Read the full article
The Scottish Government is currently consulting on potential proposals to restrict the promotion and advertisement of alcohol. There has already been pushback from companies in the drinks sector on the detrimental effects this could have on the trade...
Licensing Board Policy Consultations 2022/2023
Read the full article
The Licensing (Scotland) Act 2005 sets out that Licensing Boards are required to publish their licensing policy every five years and the process usually takes place in the months following the Local Government elections. The purpose of this policy is...
Scottish Government Consultation on Permitted Development Rights
Read the full article
The Scottish Government have launched a consultation on permitted development rights in relation to planning law. Amongst other things they are seeking views on permitted development rights for pavement seating adjacent to hospitality premises. Pre-p...
Tighter Rules for Pet Trade
Read the full article
April’s #NationalPetMonth celebrates our much loved companions and raises awareness of responsible ownership across the UK. Many of us at MSHB have a furry friend at home (sometimes they even pop into the office!) so this is a cause close to our hear...