Variations of Existing Premises Licences

Their accuracy, efficiency, competence and knowledge cannot be bettered in Scotland - Legal 500.

Existing Premises Licensing Lawyers Glasgow, Scotland 

If you require to change anything at all within your Premises Licence you will require to lodge a variation application with your local Licensing Board. There are two types of variation – Minor Variations and Non-Minor Variations (commonly known as ‘Major Variations’). The type of variation required will depend on the change(s) you plan to make.

Minor Variations must be granted by the Licensing Board and are dealt with by staff at the Licensing department (i.e. they not require to call at a formal meeting of the Licensing Board). The following changes can be considered Minor Variations:

  • Changes to your Layout Plan which will not result in any change your Operating Plan such as refurbishment/refit of the premises
  • Any reduction in capacity
  • Any restriction to Children and Young Persons’ access
  • Any change to the name of the Premises

Any other change would be considered ‘Major Variation’. This type of application requires to call at a meeting of the Licensing Board and normally takes a number of months to process. They are also more costly than Minor Variations. Some common examples of Major Variation applications are:

  • Any change to the activities listed on the Operating Plan
  • Any increase in capacity
  • Any extension to Children and Young Persons’ access
  • Any change to the description of the premises

Our team will be able to discuss your proposed changes and advise on your options and what type of variation will be required.

Contact our Licensing Solicitors Glasgow, Scotland

To find out more, please contact our Licensing Solicitors Glasgow on 0141 333 0636 or fill in our online form.

News & Insights

Read the latest insights from our team

Changes to Glasgow outside seating consents for 2023
Read the full article
Glasgow City Council have recently confirmed there are two significant changes to temporary Street Café permits, also known as Section 59 consents....
Restricting the advertisement and promotion of alcohol
Read the full article
The Scottish Government is currently consulting on potential proposals to restrict the promotion and advertisement of alcohol. There has already been pushback from companies in the drinks sector on the detrimental effects this could have on the trade...
Licensing Board Policy Consultations 2022/2023
Read the full article
The Licensing (Scotland) Act 2005 sets out that Licensing Boards are required to publish their licensing policy every five years and the process usually takes place in the months following the Local Government elections. The purpose of this policy is...
Scottish Government Consultation on Permitted Development Rights
Read the full article
The Scottish Government have launched a consultation on permitted development rights in relation to planning law. Amongst other things they are seeking views on permitted development rights for pavement seating adjacent to hospitality premises. Pre-p...
Tighter Rules for Pet Trade
Read the full article
April’s #NationalPetMonth celebrates our much loved companions and raises awareness of responsible ownership across the UK. Many of us at MSHB have a furry friend at home (sometimes they even pop into the office!) so this is a cause close to our hear...