Licensing Logo

Public Entertainment Licensing

Their accuracy, efficiency, competence and knowledge cannot be bettered in Scotland - Legal 500.

Public Entertainment Licensing Lawyers Glasgow, Scotland

What is a Public Entertainment Licence (PEL)?

A licence issued by the Licensing Authority (Council) which permits certain types of entertainment to be offered to the public or for the public to take part in activities. A PEL is required regardless of whether payment is made for entry or participation.

When is a PEL required?

The scope of Public Entertainment Licensing varies hugely across Scotland. Each individual Council requires to state what type of entertainment they consider ‘licensable’ by way of a resolution. This may include concerts, funfairs, agricultural shows, circuses, firework displays, snooker, children’s play centres etc. Any entertainment not provided for within the resolution falls outwith the scope of the regime.

General Exemptions

Regardless of where you are in Scotland a PEL is not required in the following circumstances:

  • Where the place of public entertainment is an athletic or sports ground, while being used as such;
  • An educational establishment while being used as such;
  • Premises belonging to or occupied by any religious body while being used wholly or mainly for purposes connected with that body;
  • Premises which hold a Theatre Licence or Cinema Licence;
  • Premises that hold a Premises Licence issued under the Licensing (Scotland) Act 2005;
  • Premises that hold an Indoor Sports Entertainment Licence;
Specific Exemptions

Each Licensing Authority has the ability to determine area specific exemptions. For example, they may resolve that a PEL is not required for spectator based entertainment for less than 500 persons or that community based events are exempt. This information is generally available on the licensing pages of the Council’s website.

I already have a Premises Licence or Occasional Licence do I still need a PEL?

If the entertainment being provided is referred to in the resolution and none of the exceptions apply you will need a PEL even where you have applied for an Occasional Licence. A previous exemption was removed from legislation.

If you have a Premises Licence you will only need a PEL where the entertainment is being provided outwith your licensed hours.

My event is just for one day – do I still need a PEL?

It is possible to apply for a PEL on a temporary basis. The process is more streamlined and the fees are significantly lower. A temporary Public Entertainment Licence (TPEL) can last from 1 day to 6 weeks.

How do I apply?

Allow for a long lead in time for a PEL or a TPEL as some Councils require up to 6 months’ notice, particularly for large scale events. There may also be a pre-application consultation stage to consider. Contact the team on 0141 333 0636 for advice and assistance with your application.

Get in touch today

Please let us know your name.
Please enter a valid telephone number
Please let us know your email address.
Invalid Input
Invalid Input
Please let us know your message.

News & Insights

Read the latest insights from our team

Licensing Boards Growing Focus on Ensuring Staff Can Get Home Safely
Read the full article
  The new Licensing Board Policy statements which have recently been released have brought some significant changes to Licensing Policy across Scotland. A welcomed and notable new policy point highlighted in both Glasgow and Edinburgh is the imp...
Glasgow's New 1 am Pilot Scheme for On Sales Premises within The City Centre
Read the full article
  The City of Glasgow Licensing Board published their new statement of licensing policy at the beginning of November 2023.  The new statement has introduced some significant changes to licensing policy in Glasgow, one of the most notable ch...
Miller Samuel Hill Brown Maintains Band 1 Chambers Status for Two Decades
Read the full article
We are thrilled to share that our Licensing team has once again secured a remarkable achievement in the Chambers and Partners UK Guide, retaining their Band 1 status. Our team's consistently high levels of both legal expertise and outstanding client ...
Licensing Board Policy Statements
Read the full article
Licensing Boards in Scotland have a statutory duty to publish their ‘statement of licensing policy’ every five years under The Licensing (Scotland) Act 2005. Each individual Licensing Board is required to publish a policy statement before the beginni...
Short-Term Lets in Scotland – Where Are We Now?
Read the full article
Scotland's short-term let licensing scheme came into effect in October 2022 and has quickly became one of the most topical issues within the licensing sector. The scheme is mandatory for all short-term let accommodation across the country. In this ar...