We provide tailored and innovative solutions.

Miller Samuel Hill Brown Solicitors Blog

From time to time we will post news articles and announcements relating to the firm and to various legal issues that may be of interest to you.

What's in a Name?

The Concept of Deed Poll is one which is familiar to most people.  However, Deed Poll does not apply in Scotland.  In Scotland, you can call yourself anything you want without any formality. 

However, if you do wish to change your name formally, you require to apply to the National Register of Births, Deaths and Marriages.  The same applies for a child.  It is a fairly straightforward process and you will be issued with a new Birth Certificate with the new name included. 

The cost, at present, is £40, with an additional £15 being payable for the Birth Certificate.  Anybody whose birth was registered in Scotland or, indeed, is in Scotland’s Adopted Children Register, can apply, as can anybody who is included in the Parental Order Register of Gender Recognition Register.  Those born in England or Wales would still require to change name by way of Deed Poll.

If you wish to change the name of a child who is under sixteen years of age, both parents must apply, if they both hold Parental Responsibilities and Rights.  If only one parent holds Parental Responsibilities and Rights, then only that parent requires to apply.

The name of a child who is under sixteen years of age can only be changed on one occasion.  The forename of a person aged over sixteen years of age or over can only be changed once, but the surname can be changed on up to three occasions.  A period of five years must pass between successive changes of surname. 

GDPR - Growing Desperate? Please Reply.
Keeping the Faith?